Sam's ShortTakes Unlimited: Stormin' Thoughts

Monday, October 02, 2006

Stormin' Thoughts

Well, it's been almost a week after the storm here in the PI.
Milenyo only stayed for three hours max but it really left a lot of damage...floods, broken power lines, no electricity for days, lost lives, sickness, no work, no classes, extended vacation time, wasted food, destroyed property, boredom. Most of the business establishments in Naga have been running on gensets/generators only. ATM machines are offline so bank transactions are done over-the-counter. Telephone lines went awry and it was also hard to get any internet connection or even stay online. Typical occurence during and after any typhoon. My aunt said we should blame it on global warming. I've read somewhere that people complain a lot about the weather BUT no one is doing anything about it. Chalk it up to human nature, again?
My friend Jack has been complaining about being bored since the typhoon started. He's been "bored to death" because of the blackout and not having anything fun to do. Sometimes I'd like to think that he's just really antsy. He's really super-hyper to even stand still for a minute. But I'd like to give him due credit for all the updates regarding our work schedule or lack of work schedule for that matter.
As for me, I got scared when the typhoon was on full blast. The wind was howling and the wires outside the house were breaking. There were loads of strange sounds going on and my imagination went overdrive. I've never been scared of any weather disturbance before but this one got to me.
It was fast, furious and really fear-provoking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home