Sam's ShortTakes Unlimited: Hitch

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hitch

I AM NOT A LIAISON OFFICER.
What started off as a no-choice trip to Catanduanes has become an 'unexpected/added responsibility'. It's now my 'unofficial/official task' to go to other engineering districts to either: submit, confer, update, meet, find, etc. Mostly legwork, specifically liaison officers' legwork. The boss gave me the assignment to go to these districts in case of emergency (read: the real liaison officer is sick/had to go to another district, deadline of submission of documents, on such short notice and even during transport stike). All that and more, including my other duties at the office.
What used to be a once-in-a-blue-moon activity has become a regular undertaking. Last week, I logged in every other day commute. This week, if not for a much-needed bedrest, I could have made daily roadtrips to places I've never been to. All I have were verbal directions, trip allowance, endorsement, names of people I've yet to meet, papers, and positive thinking that each meeting will be hitch-free. The unbearable heat of the sun, unpredictable rain, seemingly absent officers, far-flung (hehe) districts could have made these trips worthwhile. Granting that the heat did not trigger much of my intense allergic reaction to sun exposure, each adventure made me unreasonably tired, frantic and impatient.
Imagine being in a strange place with strangers acting strangely.
Imagine getting to your destination during lunchbreak and upon returning in the afternoon, the lunch hours have been extended because no one is there yet to accommodate the purpose of your visit.
Imagine standing along the highway or infront of a tindahan to wait for a mini bus because the terminal is at a very far distance from where you're standing. It's either raining, sunny or both.
Imagine where to eat lunch when there is no canteen to find within the vicinity of some districts.
Imagine being thought as a guy simply because your nickname is Sam! Yep, it happens all the time, even during phone calls. But, I am really glad to see anyone do a double-take when they see me as Sam, a 100% certified girl. And having a guy's name is always a good conversation starter.
Every roadtrip held some surprises. Unexpected challenges may be fun too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home