Sam's ShortTakes Unlimited: Girl Talk

Friday, March 28, 2008

Girl Talk

"24/7..."
"If you are, would you?..."
"Given the chance..."

Some phrases that caught my attention while I was psyching myself for another workday weekend at the office. When I was able to start my office pc, I shifted my attention to the girls.

I bluntly asked, "Are you guys talking about sex in particular? I heard 24/7 earlier."

Tess, one of our civil engineers replied, "No Sam, we're not in that part yet. This is still about the getting-to-know-you-stage."

"Hmmm, I think the best question to follow would be: Your place or mine?".

Tess started to laugh. "Yes, that's a good one."

(After that, I re-focused myself with unfinished paperwork. The girls were still talking. When all of a sudden...)

"Hey Sam...", it was Tess.

"What?", I asked her.

"Would you even consider having an affair with a married guy? Whose got kids?".

"No, I won't".

"Even if he tells you that he'll give you anything you'll ever need?"

"My answer's still NO."

"What if you're the one who's married, would you ever have a relationship with a single/married person?"

"No."

"Why not?"

I tried to put some humor in my reply. "You see, Tess. I have an aunt who's in the religious order. She is a nun. And my family might disown me if I get into a mess like that! Seriously, I'd rather be with a guy who's available and that means he is 100% single. You owe that to yourself, you know. What's the point of being in a relationship if you have to share the guy with every other girl?".

"Ah ok", Tess finally smiled. "But...(Oh dear, it was serious talk really). Have you thought of being a single unwed mother? Like, just get pregnant and not ever marry the guy?"

"Nope. I'd rather adopt a kid".

"Ok, you've made up your mind on those issues, huh?". With that, Tess went off to talk about something else, work-related.

I have nothing against those who are having affairs, premarital or extra-marital. I can't blame girls who've gotten pregnant out of wedlock and are now good single moms. I can't say much about guys (single, married or on-the-rebound) who won't own up to their responsibilities of Daddyhood. Or to those who choose to adopt.

People will always be people - wired to make mistakes, have bad choices or stand up for themselves. We are all created differently. We will never always think alike. But we are all given the free will. It's up to us to make the most out of that gift and deal with the outcome of the decisions we make.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home