Sam's ShortTakes Unlimited: Gimme Some Lovin'

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gimme Some Lovin'

Last night in church:

“What does LOVE mean to you? Does it still mean the same way when you were younger? When you were in high school? Or has it changed?” asked the priest.

Then he proceeded to tell the story of how a man, after church, rushed home to his wife and carried her in his arms. The wife was taken aback by her husband’s sudden display of affection. So she asked him “Why are you lovey-dovey today, husbie?” The husband replied, “My wife, in church today, the priest said that love is sacrifice. It should be carried like a cross”. (Priestly humor)

“You see, LOVE is sacrifice. Sacrificial love - it may entail giving up your life for others. Taking the fall so that others may live. Love may take many forms, rational or not. Among new lovers, the guy usually asks a girl if she loves him. When she says yes, he wants her to prove it…”

Spending time in church is always one of my favorite moments. Just an hour or so works wonders for my tired heart and soul. I am lifted up by the truth that there’s much more to this life. Not all good things all the time, yes. But learning experiences, nonetheless.

There’s more to LOVE in my life now.

Last night, I was introduced to “The Zany Escapades of Nate the Great: Gator Bait!” by a talented and sweet short story writer. It was a fun read. A seven-page toss-up between reality and fiction. Each page literally came alive with the author’s play of words. A good start. With potential. I love it!

Last night, I watched The Shawshank Redemption on video. My short story writer told me that it’s one of his favorite movies. I was able to see why. When he went online later, I was supposed to chat him up with the movie’s winning points. But I got sidetracked by his short story and more. He asked me to go on a snake hunt – since his next short story will be about pythons.

What’s not to LOVE about all these?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home