Sam's ShortTakes Unlimited: Alone Time

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Alone Time

I often have mixed emotions about weekends.
As much as I look forward to taking a break from everything, there are times when I wish that work days could extend all through the weekends. Simply because, most of my weekends are either spent inside the house, doing chores, some baking, being lazy and a lot of sleeping. Sounds like fun huh? But when I wake up from a lot of sleeping, I get woozy with a heavy dose of weekend headache. Not. fun. at. all.
Later this evening, after the pain was tolerable enough, I went downtown to return some overdue movie rentals. When I turned around the corner of my friend's video shop, I saw my best high school bud with a girl. He was holding her right hand - wow!
I went past him and he was unmindful, but not the girl.
She said, "Hey, your bestfriend just went inside the store."
He turned around and went in as well. (I was busy returning my rentals to notice that the girl was sitting on a stool behind me).
"Hey," I said. "I saw you holding hands with a girl. You thought I didn't see you, but I did." (It's always a blast to kid around with him because he is such a spoilsport).
Soon, most of our friends inside the video shop were teasing him. We can be mean sometimes, no pun intended. The girl called him a "heartthrob". I tried not to roll my eyes when she said that! (I can't believe she just said that. Haha.)
After my business at the video shop, I waved goodbye to everyone. I tapped on the counter and said, "Gotta go, guys."
My best high school bud asked, "Where are you going? You have a date?"
I shrugged, "I don't have a date. I'm going to take a walk."
Later, after church. I walked to the grocery store to buy some junk food. I just love walking. A simple pleasure that keeps me on my feet (literally!), a good exercise and a covert way to observe people. There are couples holding hands, kids walking with either mom or dad, friends laughing, others are walking fast or slow, while there are those who choose to walk alone. A certain sense of calm comes over me. Somehow my head clears up eventhough the pain lingers. I feel the tension leaving my tired body. The bounce in my steps translates into a definite sense of purpose.
At least, I try not to drift too far...I'm not being aimless anymore.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

hi there...
thank you very much for your comment. please feel free to visit anytime. best regards!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home